Sunday, March 20, 2011

Interview--KIM SMITH

BIO: Author Kim Smith is best known for her contributions to the writing world as the hostess of “Introducing WRITERS! Radio” show, a place created to help writers promote their books. Book titles include: Avenging Angel, Buried Angel, Love Waltzes In, and A Will To Love. She resides in the Southern US with her husband and two children.

Thanks for being here, Kim. It’s a pleasure.


#1- Tell us a little about yourself outside of your writing career…
I am a network administrator for a Fortune 500 remanufacturing company. I am IT. I am the entire total Information Technology department. All things computer flow through me. I also own a video production/photography company and when I am not doing the eight-to-five or writing, I am shooting or editing.


#2- You write both in romance and mysteries. What prompted you to write in two different genres and what challenges have you faced?
I have always loved romance. I sort of cut my teeth on it as a reader, and through the years have watched the genre grow and develop. I got turned onto mysteries later in life and once hooked, knew I would have to try my hand at writing one. I have seen that even if you write in these two popular genres, you are not going to go very far unless you get out there and promote the dickens out of them. There is a great deal of competition for both types of books, and yours has to really stand out.


#3- How do you handle the negative reviews and critiques you receive?
I try to understand what the reviewer was hoping for and got disappointed about. Usually a reviewer is let down in some fashion and those nuggets of reviews that say “hey, I wanted this but I got that” are priceless for future books.


#4- Can you tell us a bit about your radio show?
My radio show is the biggest surprise of my life. I never dreamed when I started it up in November of 2008 that it would take off and be so popular. I have had 8994 listens in just over one year of shows. I am very proud of the guests who have graced me with their presence and their books.


#5- Assuming you get any time to read, what authors do you like to read, and were there any books that stand out from your childhood as favorites?
Oh yes! I love books and read a lot. My all time favs are Victoria Holt, JRR Tolkien, and Dennis McKiernan from my childhood. Modern favs are Diana Galbaldon, Janet Evanovich, and JK Rowlings.


#6- Are there any upcoming releases we would like to know about, and could you give us your web site so readers can check it out?
Yes, I have the second Shannon Wallace Mystery, Buried Angel, which was released January 14, 2010. Fans and followers can find me at http://www.mkimsmith.com


#7- This about concludes it. Thank you again for joining us. Is there anything else you would like to share?
I would like to tell aspiring authors to please remember to keep going. If you never finish writing your book because someone prematurely viewed it and gave their opinion, you quit soon. Finish it! Let it rest and go through it again and again until you know it is the best that you can do. THEN send it out into the world for it to stand and fall.

No comments: