Sunday, March 20, 2011

Interview--ANNIE SOLOMON 2

BIO: Author Annie Solomon is a native to New York, a RITA-winner, and has been dreaming up stories since she was ten. After a twelve-year career in advertising, where she rose to Vice President and Head Writer at a mid-size agency, she abandoned her professional life for her first love, romance. Other titles include: Dead Ringer, Like A Knife, Dead Shot, Tell Me No Lies, Black Out, One Deadly Sin, and Blind Curve. An avid knitter and soap opera fan, she now resides in Nashville, Tennessee with her husband and daughter.


Thanks for being here again, Annie. It’s a pleasure.
The feeling is mutual, Kelly! You do a terrific job on your blog, and though you might not know it, I often stop by and lurk.

#1- Tell us a little about yourself outside of your writing career…
Well, let’s see… I’m a bit of an Eyore. If anyone asks if the glass is half empty or full I usually look around and say, “what glass?” I’m what they call a catastrophic thinker—I always go instantly to the worst possible scenario. Thankfully, I have a terrific husband who finds great amusement in talking me down from the ledge…

#2- You write romantic suspense, but is there any plans to write in a different sub-genre of romance in your future?
Hmm…have people been talking about me behind my back? LOL! Yes, I’m working on something that may or may not turn into a futuristic. Can’t say any more, because it’s all as mysterious to me as it must sound to you. I know where it’s going (I think) but getting there—that’s a whole ‘nother kettle of…well, I don’t know what yet.

#3- You worked in advertising before becoming a writer. Did that career help prepare you for being an author, and was it a difficult adjustment writing full time ?
One of the great things about commercial writing is that you get to write every day. That’s practice every writer needs. And on some level it inures you to criticism, so it’s a little easier to take. But having a client change your words on a heat pump brochure is nothing like having someone critique your book. The brochure is just a brochure, but that book is your baby! And making one’s way through the jungle of plot and character was a whole new journey for me. But it’s nice to look back on that time of my life and appreciate what I accomplished.

#4- An avid knitter and soap opera fan, eh? Do tell. Any other hobbies?
Sigh. Yes, I watch all the ABC soaps—mostly on DVR so I can watch them on my schedule not theirs. I love TV—Burn Notice, Royal Pains, the Closer, Eureka, Bones, NCIS, MadMen. The list goes on and on. Sadly, I am that shallow. But I can knit while I watch, or make jewelry. And I love games. I play mah jongg and online scrabble, and am pretty much up for anything with a board and a pair of dice and little widgets you move around.

#5- As is the case with most writers, you knew when you were young what you wanted to be. Ever find any old stories from those days, and what's your response now?
Makes me smile just thinking about it. No, I haven’t stumbled across any of those old stories. Probably went in the trash in a fit of loathing. And, unlike Steven King, no one rescued them when I wasn’t looking.

#6- Could you give us your web site so readers can check it out?
I’d love for readers to check out my website. http://www.anniesolomon.com.
There should be lots of behind-the-scenes stuff there relating to Two Lethal Lies. I’ve got deleted scenes, interesting research stories, videos, even recipes for hot chocolate, which my characters are always drinking! And I do a monthly contest, so everyone should make sure to sign up for that. Signing up also puts you on my mailing list.

I also just started a Facebook page, so am hoping for support there. Drop by and say hello! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Annie-Solomon-Author/136400433038359?ref=t


#7- This about concludes it. Thank you again for joining us. Is there anything else you would like to share?

I just want to thank you for allowing me to talk about myself and my books. I look forward to meeting your readers.

No comments: