Sunday, March 20, 2011

Review--ANGEL IN A FOREIGN CITY

Review For:
Angel in a Foreign City, by Moti Shapira
ISBN: 9781419671005, Publisher: BookSurge

After reading, Angel in a Foreign City, by Moti Shapira, I am finding myself with mixed opinions. Moti Shapira’s career began as a detective in the Israeli Police Force and over the past two decades he has conducted investigations for worldwide clients such as; lawyers, celebrities, corporations, and politicians. He also writes short detective stories for Promise Magazine. If I am correct, this is his first novel.
Though based on actual accounts and autobiographical stories, this is a work of fiction. Written in first person point of view, the book takes place in Mexico City following a private investigator, Ethan. Resulting from a request by his friend, Rob to assist in a kidnapping of a little girl, we are guided through an investigation of a very rich and influential family and their enemies. Amidst this a love story blooms.
Let me start off by saying the investigation itself was very intriguing and engaging. Readers can learn a lot about what goes on inside the life and assignments of a detective or a private investigator. We are privy to things an ordinary person wouldn’t be allowed to know, almost as if we are doing something forbidden. It was packed full of twists and adventure to keep you involved. There were very few dead spots where I lost interest. The Mexican culture and surroundings guided me into another world and, without realizing it, I gained a greater understanding of that country. The story was, not at all, predictable. The characters back stories and assignments I found particularly interesting.
In saying that, there was something about this book that bothered me from the start, and it took me a bit to figure out what that was. The way the book was written, in almost a clinical and detached manner, made it exceedingly difficult to relate to the characters. I don’t mean to say that they were one-dimensional, because they weren’t. But, we were shown the investigation, and what the characters were thinking in regards to that aspect, and not a lot of personal. When short spurts of personal were introduced, it did not persuade me that these were real people and not characters. A good book allows you to feel as if you are reading about an actual person, even though they are not. The love scenes left something lacking, as well. The book had a few minor errors, such as needed commas. Overall, there weren’t many and I did not find it distracting.
Moti Shapira’s background and experience made for an interesting tale. I do hope he continues in his writing career.

Kelly Moran
Author and Reviewer

No comments: