Sunday, March 20, 2011

Interview--ROBIN WELLS 1

Thanks for being here Robin! It’s a pleasure.
The pleasure’s all mine!


#1- Tell us a little about yourself outside of your writing career…

Well, I live across the lake from New Orleans with my two teenage daughters, my wonderful husband and a very spoiled dog named Winnie-the- Poohdle. I usually spend my mornings writing. I have a home office, but I often go to a coffee shop, because there’s something about leaving the house that tells my brain “now it’s time to write.” After lunch, I’ll edit what I wrote, go to the gym, then chauffeur my youngest daughter around to her many and varied after school activities and do errands. I love to read, garden and cook, and I’m an interior design fanatic.

#2- You have written eight titles for Harlequin, six single titles, won the National Readers' Choice Award for your Prince Charming and Baby, Oh Baby, and also won the prestigious National Golden Heart Award from the Romance Writers of America, where we are both members. What was it like to accomplish all that and what would you recommend to other aspiring authors?

The most exciting day of my life, aside from the day I got married and the days I gave birth to my children, was the day I got the call that I’d sold my first book. I’d wanted to be a novelist since childhood, so it was a dream come true. Winning an award is always a thrill, because it means readers liked my book. My main piece of advice to aspiring writers is keep writing and keep sending manuscripts out! This is a business where persistence is mandatory.


#3- As you know, I reviewed your title HOW TO SCORE for Bookpleasures and loved it. But how do you handle the negative reviews and critiques you receive?

I tell myself that not everybody is ever going to like everything. That said, my books take about nine months to write, so it’s kind of like someone telling you you’ve given birth to an ugly baby. No one want to hear that their baby is ugly!


#4- Where do you get your ideas and inspiration from?

Everywhere! The news, conversations with friends and family, snippets of overheard conversations, things I see or read or wonder about. The problem isn’t getting ideas; it’s figuring out which one to pursue next.

#5- I believe I mentioned in my book review that I would love to see your book adapted to screen. Has anyone ever mentioned this before about one of your titles, and what are your thoughts on it?
I would love to see one of my books made into a movie, and over the years, I’ve had several people ask if they could write a screenplay based on one of my books. My agent, Steve Axelrod, always says “Show us the money” before we grant permission or any rights, and so far, that hasn’t happened. Maybe one day!

#6- Are there any upcoming releases we would like to know about, and could you give us your web site so readers can check it out?
My next book is How to Score, which comes out in June. You can visit my website, www.robinwells.com to read an excerpt and see a video about it (the video should be up by April 7). I’m currently working on another book -- as yet untitled-- that’s set in Chartreuse, Lousisiana, the same town were Between the Sheets was set. It’s tentatively scheduled to be released in August of 2010.


#7- This about concludes it. Thank you again for joining us. Is there anything else you would like to share?
Thank you so much for contacting me. I’m so glad you enjoyed How to Score!

No comments: