Sunday, March 20, 2011

Interview--PATY JAEGER

BIO: As a wife, mother, grandmother, and the one who cleans pens and delivers the hay, award-winning author Paty Jager has brought her husband of thirty-one years to maturity, along with four children on a 130 acre farm. She not only writes the western lifestyle, she lives it. Paty has been a member of RWA for twelve years, belonging to several online chapters as well as EPIC, Women Writing the West, and Central Oregon Writers Guild. She has five historical western romance novels available through The Wild Rose Press, and one contemporary western, which won the 2008 Best Contemporary Romance EPPIE.
Thanks for being here, Paty.

It’s a pleasure.


#1- Tell us a little about yourself outside of your writing career…
I have eight grandchildren who are a blast to hang out with. The oldest is almost seven and the youngest is 2 ½. They all live some distance from us so we don't see them as often as we'd like, but we try to visit as much as we can when we aren't haying, calving, or feeding cattle. We own two acreages three hours apart. We hope to sell the place we're living now and eventually move to the other. It will be closer to the kids and grandkids. But for now I spend half my summer driving back and forth to do the irrigating at the other place. I change hand line and wheel line irrigation systems when I'm there and spend the rest of the time enjoying the wildlife and writing. I also travel around the state during the summer judging 4-H projects at county fairs. I was a 4-H leader for over twenty years and worked for the 4-H program in our county for ten years. I enjoy being a judge and reconnecting with youth.


#2- Can you tell us about your book, SPIRIT OF THE MOUNTAIN?
I came up with the premise when I attended a national RWA conference and the editors were all saying they wanted historical paranormal. The best I could come up with was a Native American spirit. And to me it still doesn’t feel paranormal it just feels Native American. ;) I came up with siblings who were spirits due to their father's bad choices. I used information I gathered from some Nez Perce legends to come up with the idea. I decided to make the trilogy with book one showing the Nimiipuu(Nez Perce) love of the Wallowa Valley(where I grew up) and book two to show the coming of the white man and book three is around the great journey young Chief Joseph took his people on trying to stay off a reservation.

Spirit of the Mountain is the story of Wren the chief's daughter who has had a vision quest and a gift to save her people bestowed upon her. When a warrior from the enemy Blackleg asks to marry her to bring peace between the tribes she believes this is her fulfillment to her gift. Deep down she doesn't trust the Blackleg and while visiting the mountain she comes across a wounded wolf who looks like the weykin who gave her, her gift. She begins visiting him on the mountain every day and talking of her doubts not realizing he is a spirit who is battling his attraction to her, a mortal.


#3- How do you handle the negative reviews and critiques you receive?
When I first read a negative review, I'm a little bummed, but after I step back and realize it is one person's opinion it loses its sting. When I get a critique back that rips a chapter apart, I'm upset. After all, I thought it was good enough to send to my CP. I'll set it aside and think about it and when I look at it again I usually see what they are saying and fix the problem.


#4- With such a busy home life, where do you find the time for writing, and where do you get your inspiration from?
I try to write something every day, whether it's a blog post, or a promotional piece if I can't write on my WIP. But I try to write at least 2000 words a day on the WIP. My inspirations come from newspapers, research for one book may dig up something that triggers another story. I've used songs to come up with ideas and something I heard on the radio. So my inspirations come from all around me.

#5- We are both members of RWA. How do you feel the organization has helped your writing, and would you recommend it to other aspiring romance writers?
When I first started writing romance I hadn't a clue what I was doing. I attended a literary writer's workshop and the NY editor in charge of the workshop pulled me aside afterwards and told me about RWA and how to get connected. I believe if I hadn't found RWA I would still be floundering today, twelve years later. I belong to a wonderful chapter in Salem OR. It's three hours from me, but up until this year I have made every monthly meeting unless the mountain pass was too bad to travel. I've even held the offices of vice president and president for the chapter. I believe any writer whether they are writing romance or any genre will learn the ins and outs of good writing and how to promote and find the right publishing house or agent through being a member of RWA.


#6- Are there any upcoming releases we would like to know about, and could you give us your web site so readers can check it out?
My second contemporary western romance Bridled Heart will be available in January 2011. It's about an ER nurse with intimacy issues and a bareback bronc rider determined to not let down another person he cares about. You can read about all my books at www.patyjager.net or my weekly escapades at www.patyjager.blogspot.com


#7- This about concludes it. Thank you again for joining us. Is there anything else you would like to share?

I have a historical western romance series featuring five brothers. They all have independent feisty heroines battling wits with the brothers And two free reads at The Wild Rose Press, www.thewildrosepress.com click on free reads and enter my name.

Thank you for having me here today, Kelly~!

No comments: