Sunday, March 20, 2011

Interview--LINDA EVERETTE

BIO: Author Jennie Marsland is a teacher, a painter, a musician and, for over thirty years, a writer. She fell in love with words at a very early age and the affair has been life-long. She enjoys writing songs and poetry as well as fiction. She resides in Nova Scotia with her husband, their cat -Emily- and their Duck-Tolling Retriever, Chance.

Thanks for being here, Jennie. It’s a pleasure.

Thank you, and thanks for having me, Kelly!


#1- Tell us a little about yourself outside of your writing career…

Well, I’m at a betwixt and between stage in my life right now. After ten years teaching high school math and science, I’m changing careers to teach English as a second language. It’s exciting and scary at the same time. I’ve done a few different things over the years – been a microbiologist and an insurance agent as well as a teacher. I love learning and I like trying new things.


#2- You write in a variety of different genres. What challenges have you faced in doing so?

McShannon’s Chance is set in the Colorado Territory, while the second book in the series, McShannon’s Heart, is set in Victorian Yorkshire. I’ve just finished the first draft of that one. Obviously they’re both historical, but a new setting requires new research and the dialogue has to be true to the time and location. That’s a bit of a challenge, but the stories are tied together by family relationships. The heroine of Heart is the twin sister of the hero in Chance. It requires some work to make sure everything dovetails, but I love the characters, so I enjoy it.


#3- How do you handle the negative reviews and critiques you receive?

By reminding myself that a review or critique is one person’s opinion. You can’t take it personally, and you have to weigh less-than-glowing reviews against the good ones. It’s a simple fact of life that some people will like my writer’s voice and others won’t.


#4- Where do you feel you get your inspiration from?

From my family. Growing up, I loved listening to my grandparents and parents talking about their childhoods. I have old-fashioned values, and I enjoy writing about characters who, as flawed as they might be, find ways to face adversity with courage.


#5- Assuming you get any time to read, what authors do you like to read, and were there any books that stand out from your childhood as favorites?

Most recently, I’ve read and thoroughly enjoyed Pamela Clare’s MacKinnon’s Rangers books and Anna Campbell’s Captive of Sin. Both authors do a fine job of creating memorable characters and a lot of strong conflict. As for childhood influences, I loved – and still love – Lucy Maud Montgomery’s books. I learned from her very young that everyone has a story, and that everyday life is full of small-scale drama. I t doesn’t hurt that she was a fellow Maritimer, and one of the first female authors to sue her publisher and win!


#6- Are there any upcoming releases we would like to know about, and could you give us your web site so readers can check it out?

I’m revising McShannon’s Heart now, and expect an early spring release. I’m also working on the third book in the series, which follows Nathan Munroe, a secondary character in McShannon’s Chance. I’m tentatively thinking of a fall release for that one.

My website is http://www.jenniemarsland.webs.com. You’ll find excerpts, recipes, music and artwork there to enjoy, as well as my blog.


#7- This about concludes it. Thank you again for joining us. Is there anything else you would like to share?

Only that I love hearing from readers, getting their opinions on my books, other books, and the romance genre in general. There’s nothing I like better than talking about books and writing. Thanks again, Kelly, for having me here today!

No comments: