Sunday, March 20, 2011

Interview--KAT DORAN

BIO: Over the years Kat Henry Doran had the honor to work at a number of occupations: nurse, malpractice insurance investigator, forensic nurse examiner, victim advocate, wife and mother. Even if she sometimes wished they'd remain in the closet, the years she spent advocating for victims of sexual violence contribute significantly to the voice of her writing. You can't spend twelve years haunting police stations, Emergency Rooms, and criminal courts and not come away with a feel for rampant misogyny, overwhelming apathy, or overt bigotry. She retired her speculum a few years ago but continues to advocate, quietly, for disenfranchised populations through Panties for Peace and Doctors Without Borders.

Thanks for being here, Kat. It’s a pleasure.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to run my mouth!

#1- Tell us a little about yourself outside of your writing career…
For the past few years, I've been able to be an integral part in the lives of my grandchildren. It's exhausting, frustrating, and so much fun. I've been given a second chance to be a better parent, and a good grandparent. On my off days and on the weekends, I make tote and diaper bags and other baby related things. Sewing relaxes me and helps fill that need to be creative. .

#2- I find it admirable what you do for victim’s rights. Thanks. It was the best job I ever had. How do you find this incorporating into your book writing? It barges its way into my stories—often without invitation or advance planning. I recently started out writing a short story, straight romance for a reunion series. The heroine, whose background 'all of a sudden' includes abuse and neglect and time spent in an asylum for incorrigible youths, now travels the world, documenting gender-related crimes committed against women.

#3- How do you handle the negative reviews and critiques you receive? Thankfully, I've not received a negative review, but I've often been criticized for putting too many “dark situations” and outright violence into my books. Sweet, light romances have their place and are very popular. They bore me senseless. I am a firm believer, now, in writing what I know. And then there are the familiar criticisms about my “ball busting heroines” who are not feminine enough or are deliberately unattractive. Yeah. You bet.

#4- Can you tell us a bit about your new book, TRY JUST ONCE MORE? This one has been in the works for more than 25 years, rewritten over and over and over. It simply refused to go away and leave me alone. After I realized I was trying too hard to avoid writing what I know, I made the H&H older, and put a few social issues into their backgrounds. The book kind of wrote itself. I love all the characters in the book, especially Mike, the hero. I also love the setting of Saranac Lake, New York. I go back every few years for a couple days just to breathe in the air, visit locations from the book, and take the walking tour of the cure cottages.

#5- Any plans to write in a different genre? Not yet.

#6- Are there any upcoming releases we would like to know about, and could you give us your web site so readers can check it out? I am part of an anthology titled Out of the Dark which comes out in September 2010 through the Wild Rose Press. And, I'm in the process of creating some short stories for a Last Rose of Summer series at the Wild Rose Press. “The Class of '85” revolves around members of the class of 1985 who return for their 25th reunion. It's going to be a hoot.
For information on previous releases and professional workshops, my website is: www.KatHenry.com.
My blogsite is: www.WildWomanAuthor.blogspot.com.

#7- This about concludes it. Thank you again for joining us. Is there anything else you would like to share? Thank you for having me. As I grow older and spend more time with these precious little ones, I realize the importance of living in the moment.

No comments: