Sunday, March 20, 2011

Interview--BETH TRISSEL

BIO: Author Beth Trissel is married to her high school sweetheart and lives on a farm in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia with children and multiple animals. In her latest release, Somewhere My Lass, she journeys back to 1602 Scotland, and more deeply explores her Scottish roots.

Thanks for being here, Beth. It’s a pleasure.
Thanks for having me. Kelly. I’m delighted to be a guest on your fabulous blog.


#1- Tell us a little about yourself outside of your writing career…
Rural life pretty much sums it up. The farm is the center of our world...lush and lovely, except when it doesn’t rain. Like many in the Shenandoah Valley, it’s a modest sized dairy where my husband grew up. Our family is burgeoning, with a darling brood of grandbabies. The newest arrival is due in August. My college-aged daughter is in home for the summer and my right arm in the garden. We love our garden, and our many animals. Some aren’t exactly pets but we enjoy watching the mama goose and her goslings. They make these funny, whistling peeps.

#2- Can you tell us a bit about your new book? Light paranormal romance, Somewhere My Lass, is the next in my ‘Somewhere’ series, but it’s not necessary to read Somewhere My Love before this one. It stands alone while encompassing the theme of beginning in one place and traveling Somewhere else. To sum up the story in a nutshell: ‘An ancient relic from the Knights Templar, a medieval crypt, a mad highlander at their throats and time fast running out. Unique, suspenseful, charged with danger and romance, Somewhere My Lass.’

From reviewer Poinsettia at LASR, “Ms. Trissel masterfully blended the past and the present in order to create a lovely romance that spans centuries. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a touching tale of love and friendship.”

#3- How do you handle the negative reviews and critiques you receive?
I’ve been fortunate thus far in that reviewers have been very positive about my work, but occasionally readers have begged to differ. Being told I’d written the worst book ever was a shock until I noted that every author has been told the same thing--some many times over. One reader at Amazon wanted to execute already deceased Nathaniel Hawthorne for crimes against humanity so fiercely did they hate The Scarlet Letter. Welcome to the world of publishing, I said to self. But I wondered, how can all of us have written the worst book ever?

#4- You are also a lover of ghost stories. Any plans to incorporate that love into a new book? Yes, but not sure when. Ghosts have a way of appearing in my work. 


#5- Assuming you get any time to read, what authors do you like to read, and were there any books that stand out from your childhood as favorites? I mostly read non-fiction, but intend to read more for pleasure if I can stop obsessively researching everything. As for favorite childhood author, C. S. Lewis and his Chronicles of Narnia are my all time favorite stories ever! I’m still looking for Narnia. Isn’t everybody?


#6- Are there any upcoming releases we would like to know about, and could you give us your web site so readers can check it out? I’m very excited. At long last, the first novel I ever wrote and rewrote countless times is coming out September 10th! Red Bird’s Song, a Native American historical based on events that happened to my early Scots-Irish ancestors, should appeal to anyone with a heart. For more on my work, please visit my website at: http://www.bethtrissel.com/


#7- This about concludes it. Thank you again for joining us. Is there anything else you would like to share?

Yes, I’m giving away three digital downloads of Somewhere My Lass chosen from among readers who leave comments on this post, so fire away. Also, if you supply me with proof of purchase for a digital download of either Somewhere My Love or Somewhere My Lass (email me the online receipt) I will supply you with a digital download of whichever one you haven’t read. And if you’re read them both, you may choose an e-book from my backlist. Paranormal fans might especially enjoy Daughter of the Wind with a bearwalking Shawnee warrior. But hurry, this offer lasts only as long as my stay at Kelly’s place! Contact me at bctrissel@yahoo.com

*Note, my backlist titles are available in both digital download and print but Somewhere My Lass is exclusively a digital release. The Wild Rose Press only prints their long novels these days and it’s a shorter one.

Thanks again for having me, Kelly.

No comments: